Thursday, May 6, 2010

#13 Try One New Recipe Each Month (5/32)

Copycat Panera Bread Potato Soup from RecipeZarr

You're probably wondering why I made potato soup in May? Well, we've had some unseasonably cool weather and I wanted to.

Serves 4-6

Ingredients
4 cups of chicken broth
4 cups peeled and cubed potatoes
1/4 cup mined onion
1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 8 ounce package of cream cheese, cut into chunks

Directions
  1. Combine broth, potatoes, onions, and spices.
  2. Boil on medium heat until potatoes are tender
  3. Smash a few of the potatoes to release their starch for thickening
  4. Reduce to low heat.
  5. Add cream cheese.
  6. Heat, stirring frequently until cheese melts.
I made a few changes, mostly due to laziness. I didn't peel the potatoes, but I probably should have since the skins fell off. I used Kosher salt instead of seasoning salt. I didn't have ground red pepper so I used red pepper flakes. I skipped step 3 in the directions and tossed some freshly chopped parsley on top.

This was delicious! Very close to the Panera bread potato soup. This will make a perfect weeknight meal. I think start to finish was less than 45 minutes and I would normally have most of those ingredients in the kitchen.

2 comments: